Parts of Speech definition and examples in English grammar. Examples of parts of speech. How many parts of speech in English?
Every sentence you write or speak in English includes words that fall into some of the nine parts of speech. These include nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, articles/determiners, and interjections.
To get more English grammar videos, visit our YouTube channel. This channel is very useful for all competitive exam preparation.
Click to download Parts of Speech definition and examples
Watch this video for the explanation of Parts of Speech definition and examples in English grammar.
Parts of Speech definition and examples in English grammar
In the English language, every word is called a part of speech. The role a word plays in a sentence denotes what part of speech it belongs to. Explore the definition of parts of speech, the different parts of speech and examples in this article.
Parts of Speech Definition
“Parts of speech is a term used to describe the traditional class of words in the English language that varies according to the function performed or the idea denoted by those words in a sentence. There are various parts of speech but the major parts of speech are only eight, namely Noun, Pronoun, Verb, Adjective, Adverb, Prepositions, Conjunctions, and Interjections.
1. Nouns are words that are used to name people, places, animals, ideas and things.
She bought a pair of shoes.
I have a pet.
Is this your mobile?
She is my sister.
This is my house.
2. Pronouns are words that are used to substitute a noun in a sentence.
I reached home at six in the evening.
That is my mom.
We are with her.
She is cooking.
He was driving the car.
3. Verbs are words that denote an action that is being performed by the noun or the subject in a sentence. They are also called action words.
He plays cricket every day.
They are going to the movies.
My uncle visited me last month.
Did you have your breakfast?
My name is Ganesh.
4. Adverbs are words that are used to provide more information about verbs, adjectives and other adverbs used in a sentence.
Tortoise walks very slowly.
His car crashed severely.
This matter is quite severe.
This door opens frequently.
He likes to do shopping occasionally.
8 parts of speech definitions and examples
5. Adjectives are words that are used to describe or provide more information about the noun or the subject in a sentence.
She wore a beautiful dress.
He writes meaningless letters.
This shop is much nicer.
She wore a beautiful dress.
Ben is an adorable baby.
Linda’s hair is gorgeous.
6. Prepositions are words that are used to link one part of the sentence to another. Prepositions show the position of the object or subject in a sentence.
We walked to the shop.
I’ve been unwell since last Wednesday.
That gift is for him.
The children were hiding behind the tree.
The dog went around the bush.
I reached the mall before my friend.
7. Conjunctions are a part of speech that is used to connect two different parts of a sentence, phrases and clauses.
Kiran and Manoj had come to my house.
Jane did not go to work as she was sick.
My family is poor but honest.
She is slow, but she is steady
Bhavana likes both cats and dogs.
8. Interjections are words that are used to convey strong emotions or feelings.
Wow! What a wonderful work of art.
Alas! That is really sad.
Ouch! I cut my finger.
Oh, you moved to America.